Attending college is a planned event, and becoming a successful college student is often a matter of choices. Take advantage of the student support services and the myriad learning opportunities at SRJC as listed below:
• Enroll in a Counseling course to learn how to be a more effective learner, such as:
Coun 60, Effective Study Workshop
Coun 53, College Survival Techniques
Coun 355, College Preparation Skills.
• Take classes to develop effective reading and writing skills. Enroll in an English class in the first semester and consider support courses such as those offered in College Skills.
• Select and meet with a counselor on a regular basis to discuss educational, career, and/or personal issues related to college success.
• Utilize instructor office hours to get help, to check on class progress, and for information regarding educational and career goals in their fields.
• Get to know other students. Enjoy the rich diversity of SRJC students and form study groups to expand your understanding and improve your learning.
• Visit student support services such as:
Career Development Services
College Skills/Tutorial Center
Financial Aid Office
Student Health Services
• Participate in Student Life on campus, such as:
Art exhibits, concerts, lectures, plays, and athletic events
Employment at SRJC as a student employee
Keeping Track of your GPA
A 2.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) is required to be in good academic standing and for graduation. To keep track of GPA:
- Assign a numerical value to each grade received (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0)
- Multiply the grade the number of units of the class.
- Divide the total number of grade points by the total number of units attempted.
Example Course Grade Units x Grade Grade points 3 units B (3x3=9) 9 3 units C (3x2=6) 6 1 unit A (1x4=4) 4 3 units C (3x2=6) 6 3 units D (3x1=3) 3 Units attempted: 13 TOTAL Grade points: 28 TOTAL
Grade point average: 28 grade points divided by 13 units = 2.15 GPA