FAQ 2021

If you don’t see your question here or have more questions, please speak with a Counselor to discuss your questions or you may submit a quick question through Ask a Counselor.

You may also visit the Admissions FAQs page.

I want to attend Santa Rosa Junior College. What is my first step?

Welcome to Santa Rosa Junior College (SRJC)! If you are new to SRJC or are returning after not taking any classes here for at least two semesters, then you will want to apply to SRJC. You can start here: http://admissions.santarosa.edu/steps-new-students

How do I meet with a Counselor?

To meet with a SRJC Counselor, please visit: http://counseling.santarosa.edu/meet-counselor

I’m considering changing my career or major. Do you have any tests that I can take to tell me what career I might be suited for based on my interests?

The Counseling Department offers several venues for career exploration. The first is a Counseling 6: Introduction to Career Development class. This is a three unit, UC/CSU transferable course and it also counts for general education for Option B: Area E – Lifelong Learning and Self-Development. This is the most comprehensive opportunity for career exploration. Emphasis is on interest and personality testing, values clarification, career information, research skills, individual skills assessment, decision making, and goal setting. This course also covers changing job trends and requirements, as well as factors related to the procurement and retention of employment. Another option is to take Counseling 162.1, a one unit course that is not as comprehensive but still provide an opportunity for career exploration. This course will provide students with an overview of the role of assessment and career research in the development of a career plan. Emphasis is on interest and personality testing, values clarification, skills assessment and career information research skills. You may also visit the Career Hub to learn about services such as career assessments, seminars, workshops and more: https://careerhub.santarosa.edu/

I'm ready to graduate and receive my associate degree. How do I get it?

The Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and the Associate in Art and Science for Transfer degrees (AAT/AST) can be earned at Santa Rosa Junior College. The graduation requirements for an Associate degree are prescribed by the California Community College System and the Board of Trustees of SRJC. It is the student's responsibility to file an Application to Graduate by the deadline during the semester in which he/she/ they plan to complete the requirements. Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended should be submitted as part of the graduation evaluation process. Applicants will be notified of their eligibility for the degree via the SRJC student portal. Commencement exercises for August and December graduates and candidates for May graduation are held on a Saturday morning at the close of the semester in May. The graduation date will be recorded on the student's permanent record at the end of the semester in which the requirements are met. Diplomas will be mailed approximately four weeks later.

How do I obtain an official SRJC transcript?

Santa Rosa Junior College now works with the National Student Clearinghouse for SRJC official transcript orders. Students may order official transcripts online. The first two official transcripts will be issued without charge for each student in good standing. Thereafter, official transcripts will cost $5.00 each. Processing fees apply. Transcripts are normally sent out in three to five business days. During End of Semester Processing, your order will take 10-15 business days.

A 2.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) is required to be in good academic standing and for graduation. To keep track of GPA:

  1. Assign a numerical value to each grade received (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0).
  2. Multiply the grade by the number of units of the class.
  3. Divide the total number of grade points by the total number of units attempted.




Units x Grade

Grade Points

3 units


(3 x 3 = 9)


3 units


(3 x 2 = 6)


1 unit


(1 x 4 = 4)


3 units


(3 x 2 = 6)


3 units


(3 x 1 = 3)


Units attempted: 13 TOTAL
Grade points: 28 TOTAL
Grade point average: 28 grade points divided by 13 units = 2.15 GPA

How do I obtain an unoffical SRJC transcript?

To access your unofficial transcript, log in to SRJC Student Portal using your Student ID number and Pin Code. Once you have logged in to the Student Portal, click on the MY RECORDS tab and click on View Grades (Unofficial Transcripts).

How do I get my transcripts from another institution evaluated at SRJC

There are two main steps to getting your transcripts evaluated at SRJC.

1) Request for official transcripts to be sent from all colleges/universities you have attended to SRJC’s Admissions and Records Office. Official Transcripts can be submitted in person at the Admissions and Records office, via mail or e-mail.

• In-person submittals must be issued within the last year and received in a sealed envelope from the issuing college/university.

• Transcripts sent by e-mail should be sent by the issuing college/university to guser322@santarosa.edu. Transcripts sent directly through a personal email will not be accepted. SRJC does not accept direct email attachments of official or unofficial transcripts from students or 3rd parties.

• All transcripts become part of the student's permanent record and will not be released to other institutions.

• Submit all official transcripts to: Santa Rosa Junior College Admissions, Records and Enrollment Development Office 1501 Mendocino Avenue Santa Rosa, CA 95401

2) Once you can confirm your transcripts have been received, you will need to submit an online Transfer Credit Evaluation request.

• Check if your transcripts have been received by calling the Transcripts Office at (707) 527-4517.

• Please allow 6-8 weeks for the evaluation to be completed, at which time you will be notified via email. Then you will need to meet with a Counselor to review the evaluation.

• NOTE: Evaluations are only completed for currently enrolled students Please click here for more information about Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Military/DD214 or international transcripts.

I have completed a prerequisite for a course at another college. What do I do?

You will need to submit Official Transcripts to SRJC from the college or university where you completed the course. Once your official transcripts have been received by SRJC, you will need to complete and submit an online Prerequisite Equivalency form. Keep in mind you must submit official transcripts (if not already on file with Admissions and Records ) in order for this form to be processed. Please make sure you are eligible to enroll for the course by meeting all prerequisites. Allow for at least 5 working days for processing. You will receive notification of approval or denial in your student portal. Feel free to reach out to the Counseling Department or the Admissions and Records Department for any questions you may have regarding this process.

How do I calculate my GPA?

GPA is computed by dividing the total grade points by the total units attempted.

• “P”, “NP”, “CR,” “NC,” “I,” and “W” symbols are not included in the GPA calculation.

• Academic Renewal units are not included in the GPA calculation.

• Repeated courses? (check with A&R) A 2.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) is required to be in good academic standing and for graduation. To keep track of GPA:

1. Assign a numerical point value to each grade received (A=4 points, B=3 points, C=2 points, D=1 point, F=0 points)

2. Multiply the grade point value by the number of units of the class.

3. Add the total grade points.

4. Add the total number of units attempted.

5. Divide the total number of grade points by the total number of units attempted.

Click here to learn more about Calculating your Transferable GPA.

What is a Certificate?

SRJC offers a broad array of certificate programs that provide a course of study preparing students directly for employment or self-employment upon completing the program. Most certificate programs are developed by collaborating with SRJC faculty and industry leaders and employers who sit on Advisory Committees for the occupational disciplines.


There are four types of certificates recognized by the College:

• Certificates of Achievement

• Skills Certificates

• Certificates of Completion (non-credit)

• Certificates of Competency (non-credit)

Click here to learn more about SRJC certificates

What is an associate degree?

An Associate Degree is the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. SRJC offers Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), Associate of Arts for Transfer (AA-T), and Associate of Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees. In order to earn an Associate Degree, a student must meet the following requirements:

• Major

• General education, option A, B, C or D

• Minimum number of degree units

• Must complete a minimum of 60 units:

o For AA and AS degrees, complete degree applicable units from courses numbered 1-299.

o For AA-T and AS-T degrees, complete transferable units from courses numbered 1-99.

• Minimum of 12 units must be completed at Santa Rosa Junior College

• Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 ("C") or better in all Santa Rosa Junior College and transferred course work submitted toward the Degree.

Learn more about Associate’s degrees here

Do I need an Associate Degree to Transfer?

An associate degree (AA/AS) is not required for transfer. In certain situations, it is indeed possible to complete an AA/AS while also completing the requirements for transfer. Students intending to transfer in high unit preparation majors may find it difficult to complete all of their general education and major preparation in a timely fashion. Consult with a counselor to discuss options.

Review Transfer FAQs or view our Transfer 101 online workshop for more information about transfer requirements.

What is a major?

The program of study in a major provides coherence, focus, depth, sequencing, and synthesis of learning. Majors are intended to provide the student with a foundation for transfer, training for an occupational field, or sufficient depth in a field of knowledge to contribute to a lifelong interest. The lower division preparation for a specific major at transfer institutions may vary, so students should work with a counselor to plan their lower division work. If a major field is not on the list, the student may still be able to prepare for this major by taking appropriate lower-division courses. Please discuss such preparation, as well as any questions about an approved major, with a counselor.

Learn more about majors here

What is General Education?

General Education or GE is a program of courses in the arts and sciences that provides a broad educational experience. Courses are usually introductory in nature and provide students with fundamental skills and knowledge in English, arts, humanities, mathematics, social sciences, physical and biological sciences.

Both Associate and bachelor's degrees require some amount of General Education. Each institution has its own requirements, and these requirements can vary within the institution according to the major. For example, engineering and science majors may have less general education to complete at some universities. For students who are undecided about a major and undecided about a transfer school, the IGETC or the CSU General Education pattern may be a good pattern with which to start. The General Education required for the Associate Degree is a separate pattern. There are many similarities and differences among each of these patterns.

Click here to learn more about General Education

Can D and F grades be removed from my academic record?

Based on the SRJC academic renewal policy, substandard grades (D and F) can be annotated, but not expunged. The alleviation of previously recorded substandard academic performance at Santa Rosa Junior College that is not reflective of the student's demonstrated ability will be considered upon submitting the Academic Renewal petition by the student to the Admissions and Records Office.

Upon approval, the student's academic record will be annotated with the appropriate adjustment code, and the units will be disregarded in the computation of the grade point average (GPA). However, all previously recorded work will remain legible in the student's academic record, ensuring a true and complete academic history. A student can adjust a maximum of 24 units.


  • Completing at least 24 units with a "C" average in all coursework attempted after the semester of forgiven grades.
  • The passage of two years since the substandard work was recorded.
  • Demonstration that previously recorded work is not reflective of the student's PRESENT ABILITIES. Such demonstration might include but not be limited to documented proof of experience, awards, degrees, and honors.
What is academic/progress probation?

Academic Probation: A student who has attempted (CR/NC and P/NP grades are not counted) at least 12 semester units as shown by the official academic record shall be placed on academic probation if the student has earned a cumulative GPA of 1.99 or below.

Progress Probation: A student who has enrolled in a total of at least 12 semester units as shown by the official academic record shall be placed on progress probation when the percentage of all units in which a student has enrolled and for which entries of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and “NP” are recorded reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%).

For more information on Academic or Progress Probation, please visit: https://counseling.santarosa.edu/probation-dismissal-readmission-and-renewal. You may also speak with a Counselor for more information.

How do I get off of academic/progress probation?

A student on academic probation for a grade point deficiency shall be removed from probation when the student’s cumulative GPA is 2.00 or higher. A student is on progress probation because of an excess of units for which entries of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and “NP” are recorded shall be removed from probation when the percentage of units in this category drops below fifty percent (50%) of all units in which a student has enrolled.

To better understand this process, please visit the Academic Standings website or speak with a Counselor.

What is academic/progress dismissal?

For purposes of this section, semesters shall be considered consecutive on the basis of the student’s enrollment pattern rather than the calendar pattern. For example, if a student is enrolled in the fall, but not in the spring, and then again in the following fall, these are considered to be consecutive.

• A student who is on academic probation shall be subject to dismissal if the student earned a cumulative GPA of 1.99 or below in all units attempted in each of three consecutive semesters that were graded based on the grading scale.

• A student who has been placed on progress probation shall be subject to dismissal if the percentage of units in which the student has been enrolled for which entries of “W,” “I,” and “NC” are recorded in at least three consecutive semesters reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%).

To learn more please visit the Probation, Dismissal, Readmission, and Renewal website.


What is priority registration?

California Community Colleges are required to provide priority registration for qualified students. Priority registration allows currently enrolled SRJC students to register for classes before open registration begins for each semester. Priority level information for each semester or summer term is available in the student's portal under the Admissions and Registration Tab, then the link PRIORITY REGISTRATION STATUS. Learn more about priority registration here: https://admissions.santarosa.edu/priority-registration

How do I place in an English and math course?

Assessment for placement is a critical step to help students start on a successful college pathway. It is also critical that you understand your placement options and your rights to access transfer-level coursework.

Suppose you have graduated from a U.S. high school within the last ten years (or will be graduating this academic year). In that case, your math and English placement will be calculated upon admissions, and your results can be viewed in your cubby. All other students will do a guided self-placement activity for math and English. If students are interested in English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework, they must take a placement test to determine their appropriate level.

Students may fulfill the Assessment requirements in the stated subject areas by the following methods:

High school information (Math and English):

If you have graduated from a U.S. high school within the last ten years or will be graduating this academic year:

• Your high school information will be used to place you into a transfer level course. SRJC will be using the following information when placing students into courses in math and English:

o High School Coursework

o High School GPA

o If you are not sure of your coursework and/or GPA, check your high school transcripts.

• If you have valid Early Assessment Program (EAP) results that satisfy placement conditions determined by the District can be used if the placement is higher than what would be given by other methods

• You earned a qualifying Advanced Placement (AP) score in the subject area.

Guided Self-Placement (Math and English):

Students who are not eligible to use high school records for placement will participate in the Guided Self-Placement activity, allowing them to receive the necessary information to select the most suitable courses.

Students who should take the Guided:

• are dual-enrolled* in 9-11th grade in need of English placement, or

• graduated high school before 2011, or

• attended high school internationally, or

• did not/will not complete high school

College information (Math and English):

• Completed an equivalent course at a post-secondary accredited institution in that subject area.

• Using placement test results from SRJC or other two-year California Community colleges within three years before registration if the placement is higher than what would be given by other methods.

• Obtaining placement results from other two-year California Community Colleges that are calculated in compliance with current legislation.

Placement test (ESL only)

The ESL test schedule and the guided self-placement activity can be accessed from here https://testing-support.santarosa.edu/esl-non-credit-placement-testing.

Learn more about your placement by visiting https://assessment.santarosa.edu/, or contact Assessment Services at 707-527-4661, Santa Rosa Campus, or 707-778-3908, Petaluma Campus.