Financial Services

Financial Services: Financial Aid - Santa Rosa Campus: Plover Hall

Financial Aid’s mission is to insure that money problems are not a barrier to students’ enrollment or to achievement of their educational goals and to help students keep their financial concerns manageable while they attend college. The financial aid process can be complex and demanding, requiring a close partnership between the applicant, the financial aid staff and, sometimes, others. Financial Aid staff strive to provide students with equitable treatment under the law, honest answers, and an open door to their questions, and they are available on both an appointment and drop-in basis to assist students and parents. Many students find the new Financial Aid management system, My Financial Aid, Streamlines the process. 

Visit to create your account. A comprehensive Financial Aid Brochure is available that describes programs and the process in greater detail.  

Applications and Deadlines

Some undocumented students may qualify for California state aid. For more information,  contact the Santa Rosa Junior College Dream Center at (707) 521-7947 or visit To apply for federal and California state financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), online at There is no fee for applying. The priority filing period for Fall 2017 & Spring 2018 is October 2017-February 2017 with a March 2nd deadline. Some types of aid are available for late applicants, but it is best to apply during the priority period.


Eligibility for assistance is based on several variables, including:

  • The financial need of each student and family, according to a federal formula;
  • Number of units enrolled
  • Accurate documentation of application information;
  • Having declard a certificate, degree or transfer goal & SRJC Program of Study
  • Continued satisfactory academic progress;
  • Neither in default nor delinquent on an educational loan and do not owe a repayment;
  • Not having exceeded 150% of the published lengeth of the student's educational program. 

Independent vs. Dependent

Although students may be living on their own and may not receive support from their parents, they may be considered “dependent” for federal aid purposes, meaning that their parent’s income and asset information must be included in applying for financial aid. Students must submit parental information unless the student is: married, 24 years of age, a veteran of the US Armed Forces, has a child (or a dependent other than a child) that they provide more than half the support for, is a ward of the court, an emancipated minor, in a legal guardianship, a homeless youth (21 or under) that can be documented, or both parents are deceased. Failure to provide parental information when required will jeopardize a student’s federal financial aid eligibility.


Two to four weeks after filing the FAFSA, students will be notified by letter about additional documents that are required. These may include (1) parent’s and/or student’s previous year Federal Income Tax Transcripts, (2) verification of non-taxable benefits received such as Social Security, TANF, or Veteran’s Benefits, and (3) other forms requested by the Financial Aid Office.


The amounts and kinds of aid a student will be offered depends on a student’s financial need, satisfactory academic progress and enrollment level. Generally, the greater a student’s financial need (according to the federal formula) and the more units enrolled, the larger the financial aid package. Financial aid packages usually consist of part gift aid (grants) and part federal work-study. BOG fee waivers may also be awarded automatically when the Student Aid Report indicates a student has financial need over $1,104. Loans may be available for students who are unable to use federal work-study because of other employment, heavy courseload, or family size. Visit our office in Plover Hall or the web site for a complete listing of  grants and other aid programs available to SRJC students with need.

Receiving Financial Aid? You should know that:

  • Students must be enrolled in and successfully progressing in a Financial Aid eligible program.  Eligible programs at SRJC include all Associate Degree and Transfer preparation programs, and existing CTE certificates that are 16 or more units in length.  New certificate programs may not be eligible for aid for one to two terms after they are first offered.
  • In order to become and remain eligible for financial aid students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA and complete at least 67% of all units they attempt.
  • A student who receives all F, W or NP grades in a term will be requested to repay a prorated portion of the student aid funds received for that semester. The student is also automatically deemed ineligible for further aid.
  • Students are responsible for completing the academic load they received aid for, so they should always talk with a financial aid representative if they are unable to complete their chosen academic load. (12+ units = full time, 9-11.5 units = 3/4 time; 6-8.5 units = 1/2 time).
  • Student borrowers: Students who are receiving student loans must enroll in and complete at least six required units toward their goal with a 2.0 GPA each semester. 

For students who are not registered as a California Resident

Nonresident Tuition Exemption - AB 540

According to the 2001 Legislative law AB 540, any student, who meets all of the following criteria, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at SRJC or any other public college or university in California.

  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passed the GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
  • An undocumented student who is without lawful immigration status must file with an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will fill an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so. 

The AB 540 form is found on the Admissions page at:

California Dream Act

Thanks to the recent passage of the California Dream Act, AB 540 students at community colleges are now eligible to apply for:

  • Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waivers
  • Assistance from EOPS/CARE, CalWORKs
  • State financial aid like Cal Grants 
  • Privately-funded scholarships (