Some students have a clear idea of why to attend college. Maybe they are working towards a career goal or they simply enjoy gaining knowledge. Others may be in college because of family expectations. How are your values and family background influencing your decisions to attend college?
1. The main reason I will be attending SRJC is _________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________.
2. If I were not going to college, I would rather be _______________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________.
3. If I had the money and could do anything I wanted to do this year, I would _____________ _________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________.
4. Considering the influence of my parents and others I’d say my decision to go to college has been based on one of the following reasons:
a. It was mainly my decision but influenced a little by others.
b. It was mainly other peoples’ decision but I was OK with it.
c. It was about equally my decision and the influence of others.
d. It was just assumed I’d go to college.
5. Rank the following reasons for attending college in order of importance, 1 being the most important reason.
____ to please my parents
____ to have fun
____ to get a degree
____ to prepare for a career
____ to make friends
____ to better support my family
____ to avoid having to work for awhile
____ to find a boyfriend/girlfriend
____ to be able to get a better job
____ to be able to continue living at home
____ to explore new ideas and experiences
____ to acquire new information
____ to learn how to learn
____ to learn how to solve problem