1. I want to attend Santa Rosa Junior College. What is my first step? http://admissions.santarosa.edu/steps-new-students
2. How do I meet with a counselor? http://counseling.santarosa.edu/meet-counselor
3. I’m considering changing my career or major. Do you have any tests that I can take to tell me what career I might be suited for based on my interests?  http://careerdevelopmentservices.santarosa.edu/

The Counseling Department offers several venues for career exploration. The first is a Counseling 62: Introduction to Career Development class. This is a three unit, CSU general education course. This is the most comprehensive opportunity for career exploration. Emphasis is on interest and personality testing, values clarification, career information, research skills, individual skills assessment, decision making, and goal setting. This course also covers changing job trends and requirements, as well as factors related to the procurement and retention of employment.

Another option is to take Counseling 162.1, a one unit course that is not as comprehensive but still provide an opportunity for career exploration. This course will provide students with an overview of the role of assessment and career research in the development of a career plan. Emphasis is on interest and personality testing, values clarification, skills assessment and career information research skills.

4. I’m ready to graduate and receive my associate degree. How do I get it?

The Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees can be earned at Santa Rosa Junior College. Requirements for graduation with an Associate’s Degree are prescribed by the California Community College System and the Board of Trustees of SRJC. It is the student’s responsibility to file a Petition to Graduate by the deadline date during the semester in which he/she plans to complete the requirements. Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended should be submitted as part of the graduation evaluation process. Applicants will be notified of their eligibility for the degree. Commencement exercises for August and December graduates and candidates for May graduation are held on a Saturday morning at the close of the semester in May. The graduation date is recorded on the student’s permanent record at the end of the semester in which the requirements are met. Diplomas are mailed approximately four weeks later.

5. How do I obtain an official SRJC transcript?

Students may only order official transcripts onlineUpon request to the Admissions, Records & Enrollment Development, two official transcripts will be issued without charge for each student in good standing. Thereafter, each official transcript will cost $5.00 each. No transcript will be issued for any student who has an outstanding financial obligation to the College. Transcripts are normally sent out in five working days. Busy times, of course, will slow this service. 

Santa Rosa Junior College now works with the National Student Clearinghouse for SRJC official transcript orders.

Unofficial Transcript

To access your unofficial transcript, login to SRJC Student Portal using your Student ID number and Pin Code. If you don’t know your Student ID or Pin Code, click on either of the two links on the left hand side of the login page titled “I do not know my ID Number” or “I do not know my Pin Code” to retrieve this information. Once you have logged in to the Student Portal, click on the “View Grades” link on the left hand side of the screen. In the drop down menu that says “Please select a semester to view grades:” select “All Semesters”. To print your unofficial transcript, click on the print option in your internet browser.

6. How do I get my transcripts from another institution evaluated at SRJC?

Official transcripts of all previous schooling should be sent directly to Admission, Records, & Enrollment Development for counseling purposes. In-person submittals must be currently issued in the last year and received in a sealed envelope from the issuing college. Transcripts may be required for graduation. All transcripts become part of the student’s permanent record and will not be released to other institutions. Transcripts will be evaluated upon request and a "Request for Evaluation of Transferred Coursework/Credit" must be completed online: http://admissions.santarosa.edu/forms

Lower division credit is accepted for transfer from colleges accredited by recognized regional accrediting associations, but not if it duplicates credit for courses taken at Santa Rosa Junior College. Four units of credit are granted for honorable completion of basic training of United States military training as evidenced by a copy of the separation paper (DD214) on file in with Admissions, Records and Enrollment Development. Additional credit for military courses may be granted upon evaluation of course content and as recommended in the American Council on Education Guide. Evidence of completion must be submitted to Admissions, Records and Enrollment Development.

Credit for Advanced Placement (AP) is granted for successful completion of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement tests with scores of 3 or higher. Students must have the College Board send exam results to the Admissions, Records and Enrollment Development office (hand carried copies will not be accepted). Credit for International Baccalaureate (IB) is granted for a limited number (some) Higher Level IB exams. No credit is granted for the subsidiary level exams. An official IB transcript must be submitted for credit review.

Credit may be awarded for foreign coursework after evaluation by a credentialed evaluation agency and review by the Admissions, Records and Enrollment Development office. A list of agencies recognized by SRJC may be obtained from Admissions, Records and Enrollment Development or a counselor.

7. I have completed the prerequisite for a course at another college. What do I do?

If you have completed a prerequisite at another college, you will need to complete and submit an online Prerequisite Equivalency form.  Keep in mind you must submit official transcripts (if not already on file with Admissions, Records & Enrollment Development) in order for this form to be processed.  Don’t forget to make sure there are no other requirements for admission to the course.  Allow for at least 5 working days for processing.  You will receive notification of approval or denial in your student portal.

8. How do I calculate my GPA?

GPA is computed by dividing the total units attempted (including units for courses repeated) into the total grade points. “P”, “NP”, “CR,” “NC,” “I,” and “W” are not included in the total course units attempted.

A 2.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) is required to be in good academic standing and for graduation. To keep track of GPA:

  1. Assign a numerical value to each grade received (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0).
  2. Multiply the grade by the number of units of the class.
  3. Divide the total number of grade points by the total number of units attempted.

GPA Calculation Example

Course Grade Units x Grade Grade Points
3 units B (3 x 3 = 9) 9
3 units C (3 x 2 = 6) 6
1 unit A (1 x 4 = 4) 4
3 units C (3 x 2 = 6) 6
3 units D (3 x 1 = 3) 3

Units attempted: 13 TOTAL
Grade points: 28 TOTAL
Grade point average: 28 grade points divided by 13 units = 2.15 GPA

9. What is a certificate?

Santa Rosa Junior College offers a broad array of Career Technical Education certificate programs that provide a course of study preparing students directly for employment or self-employment upon completion of the program. Most certificate programs are developed through the collaboration of SRJC faculty and industry leaders and employers who sit on advisory committees for the Career Technical Education disciplines. There are two types of certificates acknowledged by the State (Title 5, 55070(a)(b)) and the College: those requiring approval by the Systems Office, California Community Colleges called Certificates of Achievement; and, those requiring only local Board approval. At Santa Rosa Junior College, the locally approved certificates are called Skills Certificates. Only Certificates of Achievement which have been approved by the System’s Office will appear on a student transcript.

    Certificates of Achievement certify that students successfully completing all requirements are fully prepared to enter the careers designated on their certificates. These programs generally, but not always, require a year or more of study and eighteen or more units of coursework. 

    A Skills Certificate certifies that students successfully completing all requirements are prepared with a particular set of skills for an entry-level position in the field, to upgrade or advance in an existing career, or to pursue a full Certificate of Achievement. These programs usually provide career ladder instruction and are therefore of shorter duration and narrower in scope than Certificate of Achievement Programs. Refer to the following link for approved certificates: https://portal.santarosa.edu/srweb/SR_ProgramsOfStudy.aspx?ProgramType=1

10. What is an associate degree?

An Associate in Arts and an Associate in Science degrees can be earned at Santa Rosa Junior College. An AA or AS is the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. In order to earn an AA or AS, a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Major
  • General education, option A, B or C
  • Minimum number of degree units
  • Minimum number of units taken in residence (at SRJC)
  • Minimum standard of scholarship (2.0 GPA)

For more information and available SRJC majors, review the following link: https://portal.santarosa.edu/SRWeb/SR_ProgramsOfStudy.aspx?ProgramType=2

11. Do I need an Associate Degree to Transfer?

An associate degree is not required for transfer. In certain situations, it is indeed possible to complete an AA/AS while also completing the requirements for transfer. Students intending to transfer in high unit preparation majors may find it difficult to complete all of their general education and major preparation in a timely fashion. Consult with a counselor to discuss options. Review Transfer FAQs for transfer requirements. 

12. What is a major?

To receive an Associate’s Degree a student must complete a major course of study of at least 18 college units from the SRJC list of approved majors. A major provides coherence, focus, depth, sequencing, and synthesis of learning. A course may be used to satisfy both a General Education requirement and a major requirement (Title 5, 55806). Within the major, a course may not be used more than one time to meet a major requirement. Refer to the following link for SRJC approved majors: https://portal.santarosa.edu/srweb/SR_ProgramsOfStudy.aspx?ProgramType=2

13. What is General Education?

General Education is a body of knowledge that is studied for the purpose of helping each student discover a deeper understanding of the self and a wider understanding of the world.

The goal of General Education is to enable each student:

  • to recognize the value of intellectual inquiry, of physical well-being, of personal responsibility, and of ethical behavior
  • to discover the interdisciplinary nature of knowledge
  • to find joy in the process of self-discovery and creative expression To demonstrate critical awareness of and informed participation in the natural and social worlds in which we live

The General Education requirements for the Associate’s Degree at Santa Rosa Junior College are intended to provide students with a broad yet integrated and coherent introduction to the skills, knowledge, and insights that are the foundation of a college education, the basis for career development, and the motivation for lifelong learning.

The intent of the education ideals embodied in General Education courses is to cultivate in each student:

  1. The skills necessary to think clearly, logically, and ethically; to find information from a variety of sources and technologies; to examine information critically; to communicate effectively both in speaking and in writing; and to reason quantitatively.
  2. An understanding of scientific principles and methods of inquiry.
  3. An understanding of the complex and interdependent world and biosphere in which we live, including the issues that are essential to the long-term well-being of the natural world and to the human community as a part of that world.
  4. Knowledge and appreciation of the arts, ideas, and values expressed in the world’s cultural traditions.
  5. An understanding of history, the political and economic practices of societies, and the social and psychological dimensions of human behavior.
  6. An understanding and appreciation of the differences and commonalities that exist within the pluralistic society of the United States, including the rights and responsibilities of participating within its democracy.

The completion of General Education at Santa Rosa Junior College represents a substantial achievement that has ongoing, lifelong value to the individual and to society.

14. Can D and F grades be removed from my academic record?

The alleviation of previously recorded substandard (D and F only) academic performance completed at Santa Rosa Junior College that is not reflective of a student’s demonstrated ability will be considered upon submission of the petition (Academic Renewal) by the student to the Admissions and Records Office. https://admissions.santarosa.edu/academic-renewal-form

Upon approval by the Director of Academic Records, the academic record of the student will be so annotated with appropriate adjustments made to the GPA and deletion of any units earned for petitioned courses. All previously-recorded work, however, will remain legible, ensuring a true and complete academic history. Twenty-four units are the maximum amount of coursework to be adjusted. This policy is applicable in any of the following cases:

  1. Completion of at least 24 units with a “C” average in all coursework attempted subsequent to the semester of forgiven grades.
  2. The passage of four years since the substandard work was recorded (at end of semester).
  3. Demonstration that previously recorded work is not reflective of the student’s present abilities. Such demonstration might include, but is not be limited to, documented proof or experience, awards, degrees, and honors.
15. What is academic probation/progress probation?
  • Academic Probation
    A student who has attempted (CR/NC and P/NP grades are not counted) at least 12 semester units as shown by the official academic record shall be placed on academic probation if the student has earned a cumulative GPA between 1.00 and 1.99 in all units that were graded.

  • Progress Probation 
    A student who has enrolled in a total of at least 12 semester units as shown by the official academic record shall be placed on progress probation when the percentage of all units in which a student has enrolled and for which entries of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and “NP” are recorded reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%).

16. How do I get off of academic/progress probation?

A student on academic probation for a grade point deficiency shall be removed from probation when the student’s cumulative GPA is 2.00 or higher. A student on progress probation because of an excess of units for which entries of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and “NP” are recorded shall be removed from probation when the percentage of units in this category drops below fifty percent (50%) of all units in which a student has enrolled.

To better understand this process, please visit the Academic Standings website.

17. What is academic dismissal/progress dismissal?

For purposes of this section, semesters shall be considered consecutive on the basis of the student’s enrollment pattern rather than the calendar pattern. For example, if a student is enrolled in the fall, but not in the spring, and then again in the following fall, these are considered to be consecutive.

  • A student who earns a GPA of less than 1.00 for nine (9) or more units attempted during any given semester is subject to dismissal. A student who is on academic probation shall be subject to dismissal if the student earned a cumulative GPA of 1.99 or below in all units attempted in each of three consecutive semesters that were graded on the basis of the grading scale.
  • A student who has been placed on progress probation shall be subject to dismissal if the percentage of units in which the student has been enrolled for which entries of “W,” “I,” and “NC” are recorded in at least three consecutive semesters reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%).

To learn more please visit the Probation, Dismissal, Readmission, and Renewal website.

18. What is Priority Registration?

Priority registration is a system that allows currently enrolled SRJC students to register for classes before open registration begins for each semester. https://admissions.santarosa.edu/priority-registration

19. How do I place into an English and Math course?

Assessment for placement is one of the critical steps to help students start on a successful pathway in college. It is also critical that you understand your placement options and your rights to access transfer-level coursework. If you have graduated from a U.S. high school within the last ten years (or will be graduating this academic year), your math and English placement will be calculated upon admissions and your results can be viewed in your cubby. All other students will do a guided self-placement activity for math and English. If students are interested in English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework, they must take a placement test to determine their appropriate level. The ESL test schedule and the guided self-placement activity can be accessed from the assessment.santarosa.edu webpage.

Students may fulfill the Assessment requirements in the stated subject areas by the following methods:

High school information (Math and English):

  • High school information submitted through the application process will be reviewed for course placement.
  • Having valid Early Assessment Program (EAP) results that satisfy placement conditions determined by the District can be used if the placement is higher than what would be given by other methods
  • Earning a qualifying Advanced Placement (AP) score in the subject area.

Guided Self-Placement (Math and English):

  • Participating in a Guided Self-Placement activity which allows students (who are not eligible to use HS records for placement) to receive the necessary information to select the most suitable courses

College information (Math and English):

  • Completing an equivalent course at a post-secondary accredited institution in that subject area.
  • Using placement test results from SRJC or other two-year California Community colleges within three years prior to registration if the placement is higher than what would be given by other methods.
  • Obtaining placement results from other two-year California Community Colleges that are calculated in compliance with current legislation.

Placement test (ESL only)

  • Taking the SRJC placement tests within three (3) years prior to initial registration

Check and understand your placement by visiting https://assessment.santarosa.edu/, or contact Assessment Services at 707-527-4661, Santa Rosa Campus; or 707-778-3908, Petaluma Campus.

The final responsibility for successfully achieving an educational goal rests with the student. Information on-line is designed to be helpful; however, this information changes frequently. It is recommended that students consult catalogs, counselors, departments and universities to confirm an educational plan.